[HNW] Elizabethan series

Kristine Elliott souriete at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 07:26:23 PDT 2007

I agree. I've seen them in person and they are cross stitch. I think
it looks like tent stitch because the yarn is so thick relative to the
size of the stithc that the under stitch gets almost completely hidden
by the overstitch. When I visited the V&A some 20 years ago, some of
the pieces on display were sufficiently worn so that you could see
both stitches with the naked eye.

Scolastica

On 10/2/07, Alexandria Doyle <garbaholic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can vouch for this one, aside from others that have observed and
> studied the actual articles, you can see in person many of the pieces
> are cross-stitch.  The larger squares are roughly 14 count and the
> finer center piece is about 28 count.
>
> I believe that someone else submitted a request to the V&A to
> reevaluate the technique, which has been done and they have concurred
> that the pieces are cross-stitch.
>
> alex
>
> On 10/2/07, Marmaeve <marmaeve at aros.net> wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > Really, all of my research says that it's not crosstich. Where did you find
> > the reference and could you send it? I can't wait to show it to Bonnie who
> > has a real bee about Bess and Mary and the hangings.
> >
> > All of my pictures, blown up only show one direction in stitch, not two. Is
> > this the often refernced half cross stitch?
> >
> > Please let me know.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marmaeve

http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
'em how to dance funny.  Billy C. Wirtz