[HNW] origin of muffs

Lynn Carpenter alwen at i2k.com
Thu Oct 18 17:30:26 PDT 2007

"Leif og Bjarne Drews" <drewscph at post12.tele.dk> wrote:

>Does anybody here have any idea when muffs started to be in use for ladies?
>I just finnished one, and i thoaght that i really dont know how old muffs

I don't "know"-know, but the online Encyclopedia Britannica says
"Originally a purse and hand warmer in one, the muff was first introduced
to women's fashion in 1570, when fur trimming was becoming popular."

I had no idea they were that old.  I had a satin-lined white rabbit fur one
for Sunday school when I was a little girl.  (It's not that old.)

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen_at_lost_arts_studio at yahoo.com
http://lost-arts.blogspot.com/