[HNW] Linen versus Silk

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 2 13:23:42 PST 2008

All the examples I photographed at the V&A study room for that
general time period had linen background fabric.  I do not remember
seeing any on silk, embroidered as you describe.  That may mean silk
was less common, or may be a quirk of the parts of the collection that I saw.

I know of at least one instance (a 15th c. shirt) in which blackwork
was done on non-even weave linen.  I've never tried to verify if the
linen used for other items was even weave or not.  If you're not
doing counted work, it may not matter anyway whether the weave is even.

Carllein