[HNW] Linen then, and it's not meant to be a coif

Velvet Claw a_velvet_claw at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 2 21:06:54 PST 2008

Hello everyone :-)

OK, maybe one day I'll grow a brain, and be able to express myself more
clearly.

 In the post "Linen Then" I included a link to a polychrome coif. I was
trying to express that I wanted polychrome embroidery employing a
variety of stitches, surrounded by vinework. A couple of return posts
mentioned blackwork, so I thought that I'd clarify that.

 BUT I failed to say "this picture is a of coif but I mean to do
something that is like a large sweetbag or a long cushion (not that they
had stumpwork on them, I don't think)  - and I'll display it as a wall
hanging. It's not really meant to be a historical item of any particular
type, which is why I called it a "kind of sampler". It's something for
me to try out all sorts of stitches and methods, and to learn from the
process. To have fun, and produce something pretty while I'm at it.

I will be mixing 16th with just a little 17thC (stumpwork, because I
love it) and a little 18thC (I'd like to try some 'tambour' by
crocheting - there's a particular rose in "18th C embroidery techniques"
that I love. I'm interested in the 18th C organza flowers as well,
although they might not fit into the earlier style - the style will be
almost entirely Elizabethan.  (I'm not actually SCA, so I feel free to
mix it up a bit, within the constraints of producing a pleasing design)

And to save another issue -  I'd love to use silk - but I have 4 large
boxes of DMC thread that I've managed to accumulate though gifts and a
couple of lucky auction buys. I'm on a disability pension and really
really can't justify buying silk when I have the DMC sitting there, as
much as I'd love to. I know Eterna is inexpensive - but I have a sitting
frame to buy, and goldwork materials, some pearls,  I'd like to get a
spool of the Gylte Silk Thread from the Plymouth Plantation, the linen,
and some canvas for slipwork....Buying another stack of thread on top of
all of that just seems ..... wrong to me, when I have so many other
things that I need. My apologies for this bit being a bit personal.

I'm sorry that I've confused people.

best,

Megan/Elmsley Rose