[HNW] Wall Hanging

Velvet Claw a_velvet_claw at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 3 06:58:37 PST 2008

Hi,

Evenweave, not to evenweave - that's the problem. I don't know what to
use. I'm only a baby broderer and I wouldn't know the difference except
what is implied by the names, or know which is used for what.

Lauren suggested "

For goldwork and stumpwork I would go for a high quality tight weave
tabby weave (ie NOT counted weave) linen. Like the stuff you get at
Spotlight etc."

so I'll go with that.

I'll make it up as a wallhanging. It needs to be displayed somewhere where it isn't going to get damaged. I could put a back on it
and some tassels, and call it a really big sweetbag, but I might just put a cable to hang it from, and am bound to pop on a
couple of tassels anyway, just because i like them. It will be a 'thing' unlike any 'thing' you saw before. Not functional at all,
except in giving me experience in the methods.

I know the Layton jacket well :-) It's the one being reproduced by the Plimouth Plantation at the Embroiderer's Story. V&A has
some lovely closeups of it as well

:-)

Thankyou,

Megan/Elmsley Rose