[HNW] linen, then

Karla Norris melisandedf at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 5 06:11:00 PST 2008

You might also try two layers of linen.  I usually use that for all my embroidery, but especially goldwork.  In fact, not that you are entering this in a competition, but that was what was usually done in period.

Melisande de Frayne> Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:36:28 +1100> From: a_velvet_claw at yahoo.com.au> To: h-needlework at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: [HNW] linen, then> > Lauren suggested that I used tight weave tabby weave linen, so I thought > that I'd go with that - go with the most forgiving material since I'll > be on a learning curve. And these two mails (from Amytis and Sabina) > back up this decision because the piece will be heavily embroidered and > therefore support problems could be a reality if I used silk.> > Thankyou for the references, Sabina.> > I'll raise you> > > http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/MI02343a08a.jpg> > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Meridies-MEG/message/1926> > > and> > http://heritageshoppe.com/heritage/essays/stumpwork.html> > > I hope the formatting works ok on these links - they are pasted from a > heavily formatted word document. Only the Meridies-MEG message is > actually helpful. The first link is a picture that I love (a stumpwork > dragon) and the third an article trying to sort out the usage of > 'stumpwork, raised work, embossed work, embroidery on the stamp"> > regards,> > Megan/Elmsley Rose> > _______________________________________________> H-needlework mailing list> H-needlework at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/h-needlework-ansteorra.org