[HNW] linen, then

Alexandria Doyle garbaholic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 06:56:11 PST 2008

Source please!!  I'm not doubting you, just want the reference so when
someone asks me why, I have it to hand

thanks
alex

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Karla Norris <melisandedf at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  You might also try two layers of linen.  I usually use that for all my
> embroidery, but especially goldwork.  In fact, not that you are entering
> this in a competition, but that was what was usually done in period.
>
>  Melisande de Frayne
>
> > Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:36:28 +1100
> > From: a_velvet_claw at yahoo.com.au
> > To: h-needlework at lists.ansteorra.org
> > Subject: [HNW] linen, then
>

> > Lauren suggested that I used tight weave tabby weave linen, so I thought
> > that I'd go with that - go with the most forgiving material since I'll
> > be on a learning curve. And these two mails (from Amytis and Sabina)
> > back up this decision because the piece will be heavily embroidered and
> > therefore support problems could be a reality if I used silk.
> >
> > Thankyou for the references, Sabina.
> >
> > I'll raise you
> >

> > http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/MI02343a08a.jpg

> > and
> >
> > http://heritageshoppe.com/heritage/essays/stumpwork.html
> >

> > I hope the formatting works ok on these links - they are pasted from a
> > heavily formatted word document. Only the Meridies-MEG message is
> > actually helpful. The first link is a picture that I love (a stumpwork
> > dragon) and the third an article trying to sort out the usage of
> > 'stumpwork, raised work, embossed work, embroidery on the stamp"
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Megan/Elmsley Rose

"I'm buying this fabric/book now in case I have an emergency...you
know, having to suddenly make presents for everyone, sickness,flood,
injury, mosquito infestations, not enough silk in the house, it's
Friday..."  ;)