[HNW] Linen then

Velvet Claw a_velvet_claw at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 10 13:25:41 PDT 2008

To combine 3 responses -

Cathy - I live in Australia, so would have to pay shipping (either $10
or $12.99, depending new or Marketplace) and I'm on a Disability Pension
of 14K p.a.. I got Amazon vouchers for my birthday so that I could buy
books but they are all ordered and didn't include Staniland.
Unfortunately, I can't justify buying anymore books for awhile. It's
going to take me months to get the supplies together because of
financial issues *grin* . Such is the reality of life - and thank the
gods for interlibrary loan!

Melisande -  I don't want to think about there being a difference
between the linen used for embroidery and the linen used for clothes in
period - I can feel my brain melting. Heavy weight linen should cover
all contingencies, I hope - or heavily backed satin, as you say.

Alex - What I'm confused about is what I would get when I buy some of
these modern day products - whether they are linen, or linen 'canvas'. "

"a tightly woven, one layer, heavy bottom weight linen" sounds perfect to me.

Thankyou so much for the explanation of tabby weave. I was trying to
find out yesterday during my search on the Net.

It just remains on where I can find the linen, or some Duchess silk.

 I'll be able to call the fabric store today (there is only one that is
anywhere near me, without going into the city). I'm leaning toward the
linen.

Linda from ClassActFabrics replied, and is concerned about the higher
costs of exporting overseas now (although it'll be me that will be
paying) and the high rate of credit card fraud. I've sent her the name
of a couple of Laurels I know as personal references, so I hope that'll
help.

Thankyou all,

Megan/Elmsley Rose