[HNW] In defense of Staniland

Allison263 at aol.com Allison263 at aol.com
Tue Mar 11 08:27:55 PDT 2008

Greetings,

Yes, it's true that Staniland doesn't focus on late period embroidery
specifically. But I think you're missing the point of what she DOES do---which is
offer an excellent and indepth history of the craft and profession of embroidery.
It's not supposed to be a book about technique or specific extant examples.

Staniland is significant because it is one of the few books about the
profession and its place in European society, which makes it a must-have for any
serious historical embroiderer. I think it is important to understand the earlier
development of embroidery as a profession and as a part of the social
aesthetic of medieval Europe, because it allows for a better understanding of how
later period embroidery evolved the way it did, how materials and patterns
changed, and how and why certain techniques rose and fell in popularity. Staniland
tells the backstory of embroidery, which is always valuable.

Cheers,
Gabrielle

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL
Money & Finance.
      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)