[HNW] In defense of Staniland

Allison263 at aol.com Allison263 at aol.com
Tue Mar 11 10:47:12 PDT 2008

In a message dated 3/11/08 10:51:48 AM, garbaholic at gmail.com writes:

> The value of the book really depends on if that is your focus.  Not
> everyone wants to know the whys and wherefores and how did we get to
> this point.

Certainly true. It depends on how deep one is willing to go into the
research. For anyone who is serious about historical embroidery, Stanliand is quite
useful.

There aren't that many books I know of that focus exclusively on late period
embroidery. Even Schuette is fairly lacking in that department, compared to
the amount of pre-1500 pieces in her book. Digby's Elizabethan Embroidery,
Christie's Samplers and Stitches, Arnold's Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlok'd,
Levey's Elizabethan Treasures and the new Hardwick Hall embroideries, and Apropos
Patterns come to mind. Levey's Lace: A History has a wealth of information
about lacemaking in later periods, but of course there's all that pesky history
stuff to contend with. :)

Cheers,
Gabrielle

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL
Money & Finance.
      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)