[HNW] Byzantine needlework

Cassandra McCraw cmccraw at uark.edu
Tue Mar 18 07:53:14 PDT 2008

The main book I know of is The Byzantine Tradition in Church
Embroidery by Pauline Johnstone. It was published in the 1960s and
the illustrations are b&w. It covers ecclesiastical embroidery,
especially gold work, as well as having a history section.

There is also a chapter on Byzantine textiles in the book Byzantium,
Faith and Power, which was issued in conjunction with an exhibition
at the Metropolitan Museum in 2004. It is also about liturgical items
and there were several pieces of embroidery in the exhibit, including
immense funeral palls.

I would also be very interested in more sources on this era.

Fionna