[HNW] Embroidered Crowns

Deborah Fox richenda at roadrunner.com
Sat Mar 29 08:26:35 PDT 2008

"Works of Art Belonging to the Livery Companies of London", published by the
Victoria and Albert Museum, 1926

Plate LXX, figures 377, 415, and 519 has 3 embroidered "master's crowns" for
the Girdlers, Broderers, and Carpenters  respectively.  Unfortunately, they
are black and white photos.  (Also has lots of silver cups, some furniture,
some small pictures of several embroidered palls, and some other
miscellaneous stuff.)  It's not quite what you are describing, but it is
another resource.

On the web, there are (or were) pictures of embroidered crowns for the
Leathersellers' Company (which is also on Kat Rowberds site), and the
Carpenter's company (4 of them- woo hoo!).   There is/was a link to the
Livery Companies Database off The Broderers' Company website, which is how I
found the pics of the other crowns.

The Girdlers original crown was destroyed in WWII, but the original is in
the V&A book, and a pic of  the recreation of that crown is what is on Kat's
site.

Please pass on anything you find;  I'm very interested as well!

Richenda Coffin