[HNW] crochetted tablecloth

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 3 08:20:10 PST 2008

< By analogy, someone may have discovered that you could actually work  a
sort of "tambour embroidery" in the air, without a foundation --   and
presto, you have something that becomes a primitive sort of   crochet, made
mostly from chain stitches, which meander about and   sometimes attach to
other chains. So you will sometimes hear this  theory of crochet origins
summed up as "tambour in aria.">

So *that's* where that "crochet is Renaissance" type of stance comes from. I
was wondering about that. It's one thing to possibly use chain stitch to
attach parts of lace together. It's another to jump to modern crochet. I
love to do crochet work (yarn and thread) but I don't do it at SCA events.

Chris, isn't that *your* Crochet FAQ in the archives of Historic Knit?
Anyone here who has a Yahoo account can meander over and read through it.
It's an excellent rebuttal for the "crochet is SCA period" type of argument
one hears.

--Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"