[HNW] crochetted tablecloth

Lavolta Press fran at lavoltapress.com
Mon Nov 3 13:19:11 PST 2008

There are two examples of 1820s crochet in _The Lady's Stratagem_.  I
don't think you saw either of them when you reviewed the knitting chapter.

One I translated from an 1827 French source for amateur needleworkers.
It is part of a method of making a hat that supposedly imitates a hat of
Leghorn straw, which was expensive. The reader is instructed to make a
flat braid by "a kind of knitting, or rather a chain-stitch."  That's
exactly what it is from the instructions, a basic crochet chain stitch.
The tool is described as an "iron instrument two or three inches long,
terminating in a curved point, and fitted into a wooden handle." The
reader is told to make enough of this braid to form the hat--no quantity
is given but it would be a lot, because it's supposed to be fine. The
author mentions that the braid could also be bought ready-made. Then,
the reader is instructed to use the braid like straw braid, winding it
around to form the hat, and sewing the edges of the braid together with
a sewing needle. In other words, the concept of forming the hat entirely
by crocheting is not there. After the hat was sewn together, a
stiffening mixture had to be applied to make the hat support itself, but
that's another issue.

These instructions were copied, with credit to the original author, in
an 1830 French manual for professional hat makers, which described it as
a clever and novel idea in hat making.

The other pattern is from an English source of 1829, again for amateurs.
It's a purse crocheted from "gold" thread, bought from a "lace shop."
The reader is told to use a tambour needle. It's true crochet, though
quite simple.  However, no name is given for it as a type of needlework.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com