[HNW] ?14th century needlework

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Nov 5 14:28:57 PST 2008

There are 14th century sumptuary laws that restrict or ban embroidery on
garments. I can find mentions of embroidery in the sumptuary laws from
14th c. England, France, and Zurich, and 13th c. Castile. 14th c.
Nurenberg forbids the use of pearls or trimmings of cendal, gold or
silver, which is not embroidery but does tell us that they were decorating
their garments in 14th c. Nurenberg.

'Fashion in the Age of the Black Prince' mentions a doublet made for the
prince which had shellfish embroidered on it, 14th c. French prostitutes
were forbidden embroidery or other ornaments on hoods, and in 14th c.
England embroidery was forbidden to the women of households with incomes
less than 200 pounds per annum. In Zurich, only unmarried women were
allowed gold, silver, or jewels on their dresses and no woman was to put
embroidery on 'any cloth, veil, silk, or linen'.

So in Europe in the 14th century they're doing *something* with garments
and embroidery. You also see bezants and pearls used as garment decoration
during this time. I don't have a whole lot on the Germanic states during
this time, but you could conceivably decorate a garment "in the French
fashion" with embroidery. Common stitches are stem stitch, split stitch,
and apparently in German areas, herringbone and an interlaced stitch.

If you nudge me about it I can look for more specific references.

Jen