[HNW] crocheted tablecloth

Aspasia Moonwind aspasia_moonwind at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 8 11:57:39 PST 2008

Thanks. I found most of them myself while playing around, but not Lori's LaceFairy. Thompson & Waller is really good from what I read. I might have to get that one. I would love to sit in on the Romanian woman's classes. They look really interesting.
The bits of Thompson & Waller and from the blurb on the classes this lace is at least 252 years old. It is like Battenburg and other tape laces, except the tape is crochet so there are loops to attach the threads to. That takes it back to at least 18th c. With the 18th c. gown in the Victoria/Albert, I guess we can say it is pre-Victorian.
I couldn't help but copy the instructions for the braid from the blurb on the book site for the braid. I hope that's legal. It is so easy.
Aspasia> > Here are a couple of links:> > Lori's LaceFairy website> http://lace.lacefairy.com/ID/RomanianPointID.html> > Nordic Needle sells kits and DVDs (no affiliation - I don't do Romanian > point myself, but a couple of the women in my lace group do).> http://www.nordicneedle.com/CTGY/A13-00-00.html> > Angela Thompson & Kathleen Waller published a book on Romanian point in 2003:> http://books.google.com/books?id=wHG-NWWrTKcC> > And here is the website of a woman in Transylvania who does needle lace and > point lace:> http://books.google.com/books?id=wHG-NWWrTKcC> > (The world of needlework is fascinating and so varied.)> > Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA> http://lost-arts.blogspot.com/> Ravelry ID: alwen> > _______________________________________________> H-needlework mailing list> H-needlework at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/h-needlework-ansteorra.org