[HNW] Coif question

Catherine Kinsey Ckinsey at kumc.edu
Fri Apr 3 07:45:51 PDT 2009

Seeing no need to reinvent the wheel :):

The Attack Laurel has a great article on her website about how to wear
a coif that explains the drawstring:
http://www.extremecostuming.com/articles/howtowearthecoif.html

Her article on making the coif is here and, if I understand the
gathered spot you are talking about, should explain it:
http://www.extremecostuming.com/reproductions/vacoift281975.html

I've seen just a casing used instead of the loops for the drawstring
too.  Several museums also have pics of the coifs in their collections
online, the Boston Museum of Fine Arts:
http://www.mfa.org/collections/search_art.asp comes to mind, as well
as the V&A: http://collections.vam.ac.uk/   Have fun just putting terms
like 'coif', 'linen' and 'blackwork' into the search engines and seeing
what pops up :).

Catherine
still trying to cough up a lung but back among the living.  i
think....

The Metropolitan Museum of Art had a blackwork coif with a couple of
features that I was not familiar with.

At the bottom, a linen cord is used to make loops.  There are two
drawstrings, each of which starts at the bottom front edge and goes
around the back of the bottom edge through the loops, coming out at
the other side front.  Thus, the bottom is  entirely adjustable.

On the top rear, there is an black oval gathering.  It appears to be
an edge that has had buttonhole stitch done along the edge, then
gathered, and stitched again more deeply, about 1/8 inch apart and
just a bit more deep.

I'm wondering if there are others like this.

Carllein