[HNW] question about actual viking embroideries

Genie Barrett ladymaggie at justinanimator.com
Tue Apr 7 07:10:49 PDT 2009

At 08:47 AM 4/7/2009, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm looking for personal interest for photos of viking needlework,
>if any might be available, norse, swedish, whatever country is ok.
>I've been looking at the bayeux tapestry photos online, but most
>seem to be from drawings, and it's not really what i'm looking for.
>the project in mind is embellishment of sleeve edges and necklines
>on tunics and dresses. I've seen the pdf that was recently posted
>that had the small masks, large masks and vinework, and may end up
>using some of that, but would appreciate any links to line drawings
>or photos from other archaeological finds. I realize clothing and
>this sort of detail did not often survive.  I figure if anyone out
>there would know, it would be this group of folks. Thanks in advance
>for any help you might be able to give.
>Peace,

The interesting thing I have found in the books I've been looking at,
is that there are often needle holes in the fabric with no embroidery
left because the linen has decayed while the wool has not.  That
makes it hard to know what they used.  The embroidered faces, heads,
and vine work piece that is most often noted is there because it is
one of the few that still have embroidery on them.

That said, I truly hope that someone else can supply other finds as I
would love to know of other work as well.

Maggie