[HNW] Coif question

Cindy Myers emmelyne at silkewerk.com
Tue Apr 7 14:34:55 PDT 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Carol Thomas wrote:

> Thank you.
>
> Using your links, I found a coif on the V&A website that has loops
> at the bottom, and I would guess these were also for adjustment.
> If I had not seen the one at the Met, which still has its
> drawstrings, I would not have known that was their function.
>
> I went to take photographs with only the embroidery in mind, but
> then got fascinated with the construction as well.  Since the loops
> I photographed appear to be coveried in buttonhole stitch, they are
> a second embroidered feature in a sense.
>
> Carllein

It's of any help (or interest) there are surviving netted hairnets
from the 14th century with either extra long, or extra wide loops
across the back portion.  While they do not survive, I've suggested
that longer cords were threaded through these loops and used to
adjust the net behind the head.  It's nice to see there there's a
later-century parallel to these loops.  I'd love to see a picture of
the coif with surviving cords -in- the loops.  I did look through the
V&A website and saw this image (http://collections.vam.ac.uk/objectid/
O78811) which is very similar (in terms on the loops on the back) to
the hairnets I mentioned.  Just food for thought.

--Cindy

http://www.silkewerk.com