[HNW] question about actual viking embroideries

Susan Farmer sfarmer at goldsword.com
Tue Apr 7 17:14:31 PDT 2009

Quoting Knitnick <knitnick at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for personal interest for photos of viking needlework, if any
> might be available, norse, swedish, whatever country is ok.
> I've been looking at the bayeux tapestry photos online, but most seem to be
> from drawings, and it's not really what i'm looking for. the project in mind
> is embellishment of sleeve edges and necklines on tunics and dresses. I've
> seen the pdf that was recently posted that had the small masks, large masks
> and vinework, and may end up using some of that, but would appreciate any
> links to line drawings or photos from other archaeological finds. I realize
> clothing and this sort of detail did not often survive.  I figure if anyone
> out there would know, it would be this group of folks. Thanks in advance for
> any help you might be able to give.

These are the links that I have
http://heatherrosejones.com/llangorsembroidery/index.html
http://heatherrosejones.com/mammen/index.html
http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/embroidery/Scandinavian.pdf
http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/Oseberg/textiles/TEXTILE.HTM
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikembroid.html

and in the bibliography of this document
http://www.northernneedle.net/Research/VikingPouch.pdf
there's a reference for a print source.

I've also got 3 documents that I can't find on the web at the moment.

Introduction to the Llangorse Crannog textile by Linda M. Blowney
Viking Era Embroidery by Terri Morgan
Dark Age Embroidery by Thora Sigurdsdottir

These may have been class handouts -- then again, my google-fu may be
weak tonight.

Susan/ jerusha
-----
Susan Farmer