[HNW] 15th Century Spanish Embroidery

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Aug 8 04:03:21 PDT 2009

Early or late 15th century?

There is a book titled Hispanic Costume: 1480 - 1530 by Ruth Anderson
that was published by the
 Hispanic Society of Amer (June 1979).
I think it has illustrations of these in it.

If late 15th century, then paintings featuring Isabella (Isabel) of
Castile might do.
(Of course there are all these rather awful illustrations of Isabella
presenting Columbus
with his monies for his trip that are quite fanciful and inaccurate.)
Web Gallery of Art has:
*LAURANA, Francesco*
Isabella of Aragonia
c. 1490
Marble
Museo Nazionale, Palermo

All-posters and Amazon have this one:
 Isabella of Castile (1451-1504) in Prayer, 1520-22 (polychromed wood)
by Felipe Vigarny
which I think is from the chapel where she is buried in Granada.
Yes, it is from that chapel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Isabella_by_Bigarny01.jpg is another view.

Ok try this one
http://www.fuenterrebollo.com/faqs-numismatica/numis-fotos/reyes-catolicos.html

Also search under the term: Reyes  Catolicos 1469-1504 or Isabel la
Católica.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Isabel_la_Cat%C3%B3lica_rezando.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IsabellaofCastile06.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gallegocatholicmonarchs.jpg
----
If the coifa is to be earlier, let me know.

You might inquire if this is to be worn with a crown or coronet or just
alone.

Johnnae