[HNW] removing black crust from linen thread

SNSpies at aol.com SNSpies at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 08:44:46 PST 2010

Some of you may remember the question I posted in September concerning a
market regulation from Fatimid Egypt that stated that weavers, upon receiving
 the threads [from the spinners], first had to remove the blackish crust
using a  pumice stone.  I have yet to find any contemporary explanation for
what  this blackish crust was.  However, the following may give a clue.

>From the chapter on bleaching and scouring in "The Household Cyclopedia"
(1881) (_www.mspong.org/cyclopedia/bleaching.html_
(http://www.mspong.org/cyclopedia/bleaching.html) ):

"To Bleach Cotton
The first operation consists in scouring it in a slightly alkaline
solution; or what is better, by exposure to steam.  It is afterwards put  into a
basket, and rinsed in running water.  The immersion of cotton in an  alkaline
lye, however it may be rinsed, always leaves with it an earthy  deposit."

Nancy

Nancy  Spies
Arelate Studio
_www.nancyspies.blogspot.com_ (http://nancyspies.blogspot.com/)