[HNW] looking for citation

cknewell cknewell at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 29 13:15:38 PST 2010

Nancy-

<I am hoping that someone could please help me find the book from which a  >
picture of a woman and man, worked in cross-stitch and dated 1560, was
> taken.   I have the jpg which I can send to anyone as the list does not
allow   embedded pictures.>

Are they an Elizabethan style couple, walking hand in hand? If so that's the
1603 edition of  Johan Sibmacher "Schon neus Modelbuch". If not -- I know
I've seen a similar motif in a book by Sandy Terp (? or Hersh?) on
Pennsylvania German needlework. When I was researching needlework I was
amazed to find so many 16th and 17th century embroidery motifs popping up in
19th century German samplers.

In fact, I own a copy of "This Is the Way I Spend My Time" -- a book re
German "show samplers".  Maybe I should browse through that, too.

Email me the JPEG and I'll see if I can help.

--Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"