[HNW] Help for an American sampler digital library project

Michal McCullough mj_mcc at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 15:06:48 PDT 2010

Greetings to the List,

I have been a subscriber to this list for years, and even though I never participate, I always enjoy and appreciate the depth of knowledge shown by the participants.  So I am hoping I can ask for you assistance.

I'm taking a Digital Libraries class as part of my MLS; the final project in this class is to propose and design a digital library of your own.  Almost every topic I chose seemed to be either too huge and unwieldy or already duplicated, so almost in desparation, I chose a digital library devoted to early American samplers, both the samplers themselves and the research that surrounds them.  The idea would be that one could go to one website to examine the samplers and to read articles about them.

Now, this is very definitely a pie in the sky idea.  I know that copyright and the rights of the owners of pieces of art would be a big hurdle to ever compiling something like this.  *I am not* actually proposing to undertake this, I am approaching this as an intellectual exercise that will combine aspects of my class and my personal interests together.

So, that being said, what I am interested in is what people like you, who have more than a passing interest in and knowledge of samplers, would be interested in, if such a digital library would exist.  Would you be more interested in simply seeing the samplers?  Would you be more interested in scholarly articles that focus on the how-to of the samplers (i.e thread-count, materials used, etc) or articles that are more about how samplers relate to American history?  Is there something else that I am missing that would be of benefit?  I must admit that I am thinking of paring it down slightly, just to make it more manageable, but I would still be interested in your ideas.

I would really appreciate any and all input.  A large part of this project is "producing" a library that is tailored to a community's needs and goals.  Hearing directly from people who would potentially make up that community would be of immense help to me.

Thank you so much for your time and any suggestions you may have!