[HNW] Help for an American sampler digital library project

SNSpies at aol.com SNSpies at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 20:27:40 PDT 2010

I would suggest a listing with links of American museums that hold samplers
 along with perhaps a bit of information about the  samplers themselves.

Nancy

Greetings to the List,

I have been a subscriber to this  list for years, and even though I never
participate, I always enjoy and  appreciate the depth of knowledge shown by
the participants.  So I am  hoping I can ask for you assistance.

I'm taking a Digital Libraries  class as part of my MLS; the final project
in this class is to propose and  design a digital library of your own.
Almost every topic I chose seemed  to be either too huge and unwieldy or already
duplicated, so almost in  desparation, I chose a digital library devoted to
early American samplers,  both the samplers themselves and the research
that surrounds them.  The  idea would be that one could go to one website to
examine the samplers and to  read articles about them.

Now, this is very definitely a pie in the sky  idea.  I know that copyright
and the rights of the owners of pieces of  art would be a big hurdle to
ever compiling something like this.  *I am  not* actually proposing to
undertake this, I am approaching this as an  intellectual exercise that will combine
aspects of my class and my personal  interests together.

So, that being said, what I am interested in is  what people like you, who
have more than a passing interest in and knowledge  of samplers, would be
interested in, if such a digital library would  exist.  Would you be more
interested in simply seeing the samplers?   Would you be more interested in
scholarly articles that focus on the how-to of  the samplers (i.e thread-count,
materials used, etc) or articles that are more  about how samplers relate to
American history?  Is there something else  that I am missing that would be
of benefit?  I must admit that I am  thinking of paring it down slightly,
just to make it more manageable, but I  would still be interested in your
ideas.

I would really appreciate any  and all input.  A large part of this project
is "producing" a library  that is tailored to a community's needs and
goals.  Hearing directly from  people who would potentially make up that
community would be of immense help  to me.

Thank you so much for your time and any suggestions you may  have!

Hotmail. _Get busy._
(http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multicalendar&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_5)   =

H-needlework  mailing  list
H-needlework at lists.ansteorra.org