[HNW] slate/stretcher frame

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jul 18 06:58:15 PDT 2010

This sort of search can be fun or frustrating when taken to
Google Books.

Stodeles there turns up
Embroiderers - Page 28

Kay Staniland - 1991 - 72 pages
John de Cologne found it necessary to buy iron hooks and thick cord
and thread for this project plus some unidentified items termed
stodeles, perhaps beams or frames for stretching the work, purchased
from a carpenter. ...

which is of course the book you cite.

And farther down in the search pops up

Bordadores - Page 28

Kay Staniland - 2000 - 72 pages
Juan de Colonia hubo de comprar ganchos de hierro, así como sogas e
hilos gruesos, además de varios objetos no identificados y que
aparecen como stodeles, quizá varas o bastidores para estirar la pieza
hechos por un ...

The word apparently doesn't translate.

There are 120 other matches, most to a family name but it also appears
in a will.

Johnna