[HNW] Jacobean crewel work stitch guide

Velvet Claw a_velvet_claw at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 3 15:29:52 PDT 2010

Hi,

Back again, but this time it's a question for myself.

I want to do a Jacobean crewel project eventually.

I don't know a lot of surface embroidery stitches, except for the
Elizabethan ones. The Jacobeans used a much bigger range, and different
stitches in their crewel work.

I look at the black and white diagrams, and not a clue comes to my mind
as to what stitches to use. I'll look at lots of extant examples, of
course, but I was wondering if there was a good book out there that had
historic Jacobean patterns that also described the stitches to use as
well as patterns. Part of the problem with looking at extant examples is
that I need close ups to tell which stitches were used, then flipping
through a stitch guide to match the stitch.

best regards,

and thankyou for all the help you've given my friend Constance with the
Bayeaux Tapestry,

Megan/Elmsley Rose