[HNW] Jacobean crewel work stitch guide

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Jun 3 20:12:39 PDT 2010

A number of my embroidery and needlework books are boxed
but I seem to remember lots of books on this period. A quick search
turned up these:
The Anchor Book of Crewelwork Embroidery Stitches

Embroidery 1600-1700: At the Burrell Collection

English Embroideries--16th & 17th C. (Ashmolean Handbooks)

I would think that you could start out with a search on Jacobean
embroidery or Jacobean needlework
and with a book in hand work your way then through the bibliography.
It's not as popular as it once was, but there are still books out there.
You may have to use more than one book to get exactly what you want,
unless you find that
you want to reproduce one known item and can find all the details
about that one piece.

Johnna