[HNW] Bostocke sampler?

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 7 13:47:51 PDT 2010

Several years ago I visited the V&A, and hung a ruler off the glass
and photographed one of the elements of the Bostocke.  Comparing the
owl motif to the ruler in the picture, I get 18 stitches to the inch
on the cross stitches,  approximately.

The stitches look as though they cover perhaps 4 threads,
approximately, so the linen would be about 72 to the inch, or even
finer.  Let me know if you need me to print it out and try to count
threads, I probably can give a clearer answer than that by using a
magnifying glass on the background fabric.

Carllein