[HNW] Bostocke sampler?

Hanson, Carol CHANSON at PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Jun 7 20:15:17 PDT 2010

I'll throw another estimate into the pot, and it mostly matches everyone else's.
:-)

My notes on a project I once made (http://www.dragonbear.com/as-straw.html) said
about 80 stitches per inch and definitely 4 threads per stitch.

My source, which has lovely detailed photos:
Browne, Clare, and Jennifer Wearden. Samplers from the Victoria and Albert
Museum. London: V&A Publications, 1999

- Carol Hanson (SCA: Caryl de Trecesson)

________________________________

From: h-needlework-bounces+chanson=partners.org at lists.ansteorra.org on behalf of
Carol Thomas
Sent: Mon 6/7/2010 9:00 PM
To: Historic Needlework
Subject: [HNW] Bostocke sampler?

Uh, I need daylight.  I printed out a macro photo of part of the owl
motif, and the magnifying glass just turns it into pixels.  Need to
look at it in natural light to see if I can count it.   Roughly, it
looks like 4 threads per cross stitch, which puts it in the 72
threads per inch ball park.  But counting the background away from
the stitching, I got 56 threads per inch, but don't have confidence
in that estimate.  Will try again in the morning.

Send me your snail mail address off list and I'll send you the 4 x 6
so you can look for yourself.  It came out very orange because I had
problems with the lighting, but it is larger than life size.

Carllein

At 04:56 PM 6/7/2010, you wrote:
>   Oh, cool, thanks!  That's pretty much the info I was curious about (I
>don't NEED to know, I just WANT to know... :-D) for comparison.
>    I did one shirt on swiss batiste, over 3 one way/4 the other, that came
>out to not quite 20 stitches per inch, so that gives me a good comparison
>for "it looks about like this", I think...
>
>Liadain
>
>"You get a wonderful view from the point of no return..."
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/liadains_fancies
>http://practical-blackwork.blogspot.com
<http://practical-blackwork.blogspot.com/>
>http://practicalblackwork.com <http://practicalblackwork.com/>