[HNW] liquid "embroidery" --anyone tried this?

Catherine Olanich Raymond cathy at thyrsus.com
Wed Jun 16 17:00:59 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 16 June 2010 4:20:38 pm Kathryn Newell wrote:
> Has anyone tried to use those liquid "embroidery"' pens?? I think they are
> usually the brand "Aunt Martha". One gets a special cardboard circle
>  backing to absorb excess liquid, I think.
>
> I'm toying with the idea of using them to do heraldic "embroidered" emblems
> to sew all over an SCA overgown. I seem to recall one plate from Scheuette
> showing a medieval overgown (male? female?) with heraldic motif badges.
>  IFIC they were eagles???
>
> The idea of doing satin stitch Catherine Wheels on a zillion badges to sew
> onto a gown is not exactly appealing...
>
> Where are those professional embroiderers when you want them? Or a team of
> personal female attendants with nothing to do all day.....

For clothing, I'd advise against.  They tend to look much more like the paints
they are than like actual embroidery, and they tend to clog up and become
useless long before they are actually used up.  For (indoor) banners and
(indoor) display items, those attributes may or may not be such a factor.

--

Cathy Raymond <cathy at thyrsus.com>

"No one can make as disastrous a bad choice as a smart person, because they
sell it to themselves really well."--Tobias Buckell