[HNW] Gold Bobbin Lace

Velvet Claw a_velvet_claw at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 17 15:19:55 PDT 2010

Hi,

 I've written an enquiry to www.lacemaking, Dyan, as they didn't show
anything appropriate on their webpage.

 I'd like to add bobbin lace to my skills 'toolbox' but this project has
already go on for ... 18 months? (with a few lengths of time off due to
illness). 113 posts to my blog on it already. I'm exactly half way
through the actual embroidery, so I reckon I've got another six months
solid work (again, it will be dragged out by illness) to go just on
that. I'll be learning new stitches as I go (which is the whole point of
this experimental sampler) - that's what really takes the time.

I've talked to Ruth O'Leary of http://rutholearytextileart.blogspot.com/
about the finishing process to make it into a wall hanging, and it
sounds like quite a project in itself!

I've got so many projects that I want to get on with - not least the
Thistle Thread Masterclass which I've just joined, but will delay doing
the kits until I've finished the Sampler. And then the Stumpwork project
which is rumoured she will be teaching next year - I really want to do
that. And all my own ideas for projects, including another embroidered
book cover  - a large flower in silk needlepainting, surrounded by a
heavily raised randomly curvaceous border covered in purl, which I now
have the skills to do. (There are a few examples in the Embroidered Book
Collection at the British Library, where I got the idea from)

So - I'd like to learn bobbin lacemaking, and read   "Making 16th
Century Bobbin Lace"" by Mistress Francesca la Curiosa.from

http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/idxtextiles.html
this morning, so have some idea of what is involved.

I have noticed that extant panels/wall hangings quite often had a thin
edged border around them, rather than lace (which really belongs on
clothing, but I want/wanted because it's pretty) and I think it might be
a good idea if I had a closer look at those images and try and see how
they were constructed. (If you have any ideas, they are most welcomed).
I have a copy of 'Twixt Art and Nature' and that will be my first go-to.

I've also seen gold bobbin lace on Ebay, ages ago - but I've searched
intermittantly and not seen it since. I might put a 'want' up and see
what happens, keeping in mind what
Genevieve said about the modern lace detracting from the embroidery.

Thankyou for your help - it's helped set my direction,

best regards.

Megan/Elmsley Rose