[HNW] stitch count of Mary's cruciform cross-stitch designs

Chris Laning claning at igc.org
Wed Jun 23 16:32:33 PDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Carol Thomas wrote:

> I pulled out a book with a photograph and counted stitches sideways
> and up and down.  It does appear to be evenweave.
>
> No information on stitches per inch, though.

I think all you'd really need was the dimensions of one cruciform
piece: then it's just a matter of arithmetic. The V&A collection pages
should have that.

As for the background material, it's really two questions:

(1) Was it "evenweave" in the sense of being the same number of
threads to the inch in warp and weft (apparently so); and

(2) How closely did the fabric resemble what we today call "evenweave
linen"? Or will it be more like what we would call "needlepoint
canvas"? It would be helpful to know the thread diameters and spacing,
since fabric at a given number of threads per inch can have, for
instance, 10 thick threads tightly packed per inch, 10 thin threads
spaced far apart, or anything in between.  It may also be worth
checking whether it's actually linen, or perhaps hemp or something
else. (Though linen is certainly what I'd expect.)

O    Chris Laning <claning at igc.org> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com