[HNW] Faces in basketweave

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 26 14:10:52 PDT 2011

I don't know if it was used for faces.  Certainly tent stitch was for
scenes that included faces, although rarely, such as the Bradford
table carpet.

The classic stitch for faces was the split stitch, in so many
examples of early embroidery.

While it is different from your question, I'd be interested in any
evidence that basketweave was used that far back.  Since it looks
like tent stitch from the front, are there images of backs that show
basketweave in that time frame?

Carllein