[HNW] 17th-century needle lace on eBay?

Catherine Kinsey Ckinsey at kumc.edu
Wed Dec 14 06:39:47 PST 2011

Actually some of the seller's other items are interesting too.
http://stores.ebay.com/Carolyn-Forbes-Textile-Resource?_trksid=p4340.l2563

or OLD ITALIAN RETICELLA NEEDLEWORK~FILET LINEN PANEL 38 by 41inches
This one says possibly 17th century too.

I wonder if the lace is just based on a 17th century pattern though.

Johnna

Oh my, that was dangerous to point out :).  Some lovely pieces to cruise through tho, thanks!

If the thread on the 4 yd piece is cotton I believe that would make it pretty definitely a 19thC piece, probably from China.  They did, however, also use linen too.  I have a piece that at one time the V&A had identified as 16/17th century but later research put it in the 19th century (it is part bobbin, part needle, very fine linen thread.  The 'tell' for being 19C was the size of the holes left by the pins for the bobbin lace).  I don't think the length is a reason to rule out 17C tho, since a lot of this work was used for edging household items.

I wish she had included something in the pics for scale.

Catherine