[HNW] Recreating historic knitting

Betsy Hanes Perry betsyp at pobox.com
Sat Dec 31 09:43:13 PST 2011

Hi!  I originally sent this to the Bay Area Costumers Guild, and got a
suggestion to redirect it here.  I couldn't find a FAQ; apologies if this
has been addressed before.

Has anybody written a book about how to recreate historic (esp.
Victorian-onward) knitting patterns?  I don't want one of those books that
contains a few patterns "based on" the originals; I'd like an explanation
of what sizes a "bell gauge" (called for in Weldon's Illustrated
Needlework) was, how bone needle sizes differed from metal, and suggestions
about how to reason out wool equivalences.

Does anybody know a book or Website like this?  It seems that instructions
on how to be your own detective would be really, really valuable.

Thank you.

--
Betsy Hanes Perry
"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch." - G. Keillor