[HNW] 19th century pattern marking

Sandy Dudley su_roja at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 30 12:32:46 PST 2011

Aside from anything else, this http://lacma.wordpress.com/2010/05/06/faux-pearls-fish-scales-and-fancy-dress/ is a lovely piece - and the dress itself is much more graceful (to my eye) "in person" than I would have expected from fashion illustrations of the era.

But what struck me, after reading considerable material on how Victorian needleworkers had to have the back of their work as tidy as the front, is that the pattern markings are still visible on the material, under the beads.  Well, I don't know how to remove ink from silk chiffon, either, but I guess I'll still obsess over pencil marks left on linen . . .

Sandy/Susana