[HNW] embroidering on dark linen?

Kim Mitchell ladyjanedevereux at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 09:44:39 PDT 2011

Greetings  :)

I love to do my 16th and 17th century embroideries, and have been trying to find
a way to use my skills in a way that will be relevant today.  Samplers are great
hanging on a wall, and sweet bags are spiffy at an SCA event, but I wanted
something that I could use in my 21st century life.  I designed a purse, an
evening baga purse, an evening bag, that will have coiling goldwork vines of
plaited braid,  and polychrome silk embroidery.  My plan is to do it on black
linen, but I have no clue of how to effectively transfer the design.  My thought
process was to perhaps pounce it with a light powder and then do a tiny light
coloured running stitch around the entire design.  In theory that is not such a
bad idea, but it will sure add a lot of work to the project.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks!

:)

Jane

Barony of Dragon's Laire

Kingdom of An Tir (By way of Meridies, Drachenwald, Trimaris, Atlantia and
originally from Trimaris)