[HNW] embroidering on dark linen?

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Jul 1 10:14:40 PDT 2011

I had this very question a few years ago, except that it was monochrome
embroidery on dark blue linen. ;-)

I pounced the design with white chalk, and then I used one of those
Clover white ink fabric pens to trace the dots so I had a permanent
pattern marked.

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=512 is the one I have

Any marks that were visible after I was done went away after the finished
work got rinsed, and if I made a mistake during the tracing I just used a
damp cotton swab to do the erasing.

Relatedly, artist's tracing vellum is FANTASTIC for making pouncing
templates. It holds up to repeated usage beautifully. I trace the
design in pencil and then use an extra-fine Sharpie to go over the pencil
lines, then I prick it with an shoemaker's awl or a big heavy needle. An
old magazine or phone directory makes a good pouncing backstop.

Jen/pixel/Margaret