[HNW] embroidering on dark linen?

SANDRA CRUSHER equinerd at embarqmail.com
Fri Jul 1 12:09:18 PDT 2011

Lady Jane,

I have pounced embroidery designs using charcoal on white satin, then later inked the pattern using sepia colored ink with a dip pen.

Why not do the reverse in color?  You can pounce the design with pulvarized white chalk, then ink the pattern with white ink using a fine tipped dip pen.  I do not know how you prick your patterns, but I al ways prick may patterns just inside the design lines, so as I embroider, I place my stiches just outside the lines to cover up the permanant ink markings.

Please ask me more questions if you want to know more about this very pre-1600's method of pattern transfer.

Valeria Serena Ongaro

Loch Gryffyn of Darwater, Trimaris