[HNW] embroidering on dark linen?

Kimiko Small kimiko at kimiko1.com
Fri Jul 1 15:02:50 PDT 2011

Greetings Jane.

Not sure it is a better idea, but after pouncing with chalk onto my dark red/black silk, I used a water based gouache in yellow for my embroidery, painted on with a fine brush. It is stuff I have in my illumination supplies. Regular watercolor should work as well. I have no plans on washing this afterwards, so I make sure my gold outline threads will cover the outline. The pigment in the gouache does flake a little when the needle is going through, but that's ok as it's done its job by then.

And the vellum paper that Pixel mentioned can be found in scrapbooking supply areas of a craft store. The one I found is 8.5"x11", which will fit into my printer. It isn't called vellum on the package, it is called Specialty Paper, Translucent, and is a 29 pound paper (which is a little heavier than regular printer paper). I've been told it will print nicely, and works up well for prick & pounce. I didn't know about it when I did my current project, but it should work better than the cardstock I did use.

I also look forward to seeing your modern project plan. I've been thinking of doing something similar for my next purse.

Kimiko/Joan

Lady Joan Silvertoppe
Nordwache, Caid
mka Kimiko Small, Fresno, CA, USA
http://www.kimiko1.com

"Well-behaved women seldom make history"
~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich