[HNW] embroidering on dark linen?

Alexandria Doyle garbaholic at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 16:37:49 PDT 2011

When I've don't dark fabrics, I used the chalk pounce, then with a
thin acrylic white connected the dots.  I've also used gouache paints
when doing color work.  That was done on white linen, and once the
paints had all dried, I then "showered" the linen, getting it good and
soaking wet, so anything that was going to run, did.  One piece was
then layered with a sheer white silk.  The pattern was on the back
side so to see it I'd hold it up to the light and trace with a
air-disapearing pen, I would never do more tracing than what I could
do in a couple hours.  For the other, I am still working that piece,
with the linen as the main ground.  I did at some point after I'd
started want to change up the design - correcting an oval that went a
little wonky, and couldn't get the paint to wash out of the area and
had to paint over it with white gouache.

The point, in case anyone missed it, if you use gouache paint for your
pattern, rinse the piece after it's dried but before embroidery to get
excess pigment to go away.  Red and dark blue seemed to bleed more
than other colors, so I'd check that on a sample first.

alex
So much to do and so little attention span to get it done with…