[HNW] need advice re "Flowers of the Needle"

Kathryn Newell c.knewell at Comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 06:41:32 PDT 2011

OK folks I need some advice here. "Flowers of the Needle" included
photocopies of the text to each book in the original typeface. Mistress
Elspeth's translations were printed with modern type face next to each.

Since Elspeth's translations are her intellectural property, and she wanted
nothing more to do with the project, I cannot include them.  FWIW a great
deal of the text is forsoothly "mushy gushy goo". Tons of flowery
compliments. I was bitterly disappointed because I had hoped for all sorts
of secrets, tip, hints, etc for working the needlework. My plan was to
distill their essence (as it were) and just give a thumbnail idea of what
they said.

I have been working behind the scenes with an enabler, The Amazing Chris
Laning (Dame Christiane de la  Holcolmb)--hope I didn't mispell that. Sorry
if I did!

Chris has a possible lead on someone who might go over  Mistress Elsppeth's
text, possibly correct it here and there. If she does, this makes it another
person's intellectual property. Long Story Short--the text pages might then
be able to be inclded.

Does anyone here really care? As a Laurel, the idea of total completeness
is, admittedly, nice. For practical reasons, though -- not so sure. The text
is hardly useful. It's of some interest-- some authors address the fact that
the patterns are useful for boys and men )-- i.e. members of embroidery
guilds, who tended to be male.

FWIW I have tried to cut and paste it into Bable Fish. Unfortunately, the
original Italian type face won't "translate" into regular text of Times
Roman. <wry grin> A few years ago I tried inserting a few words into Bable
Fish. Highly disappointing. This is "archaic" Italian --  not modern Italian
at all.

OK so what do people think? Include the text at all cost (translated or
not)?? Or just the patterns with my brief paraphrasing of any useful
information from the text?

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"