[HNW] Seventeenth-Century Women's Dress Patterns: Book 1 (Womens Dress Patterns 1)

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Jun 25 20:20:10 PDT 2011

This is something new that I just acquired. It's from V&A but they
didn't publish it until June 1 which means it wasn't available when I
was
there in April.

Seventeenth-Century Women's Dress Patterns: Book 1 (Womens Dress
Patterns 1) [Hardcover]
Jenny Tiramani (Editor), Susan North (Editor)

Amazon has a very complete review which can be read on the Amazon site.

I think it would work really well with Arnold.
V&A description notes PICTURES  350 colour, 700 line in 160 pages.
About the book
This innovative and breathtakingly detailed book from the V&A presents
dress patterns, construction details, embroidery, and making
instructions (including a knitting pattern and lacemaking) for 15
garments and accessories from a 17th-century British woman's wardrobe.
Step-by-step drawings of the construction sequence and scale patterns
for each garment enable readers to accurately reconstruct them. There
are scale diagrams for making linen and metal thread laces, silk
braids, and embroidery designs. Multiple photographs, close-up
construction details, and X-ray photography reveal the hidden elements
of the clothes, the number of layers, and the stitches used inside.
This first book in a new series takes the physical examination and
study of historical clothing to a new depth and degree of detail,
using the expertise of designers, tailors, and makers from London's
Shakespeare's Globe Theatre

http://www.vandashop.com/product.php?xProd=7517&navlock=1

There's a lot in the book on embroidery, including examples of
appropriate stitches.

Certainly worth a look.

Johnna