[HNW] basketweave stitch

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Mon May 2 09:52:31 PDT 2011

I'm hoping that the V&A will someday have a better set-up to let us
see the backs of pieces, so we can know for certain.  All the pieces
in the old textile study room were backed with cloth over wood.
However, the evidence clearly points to tent stitch.  In addition to
the pulling, tent stitch gives more coverage for the same amount of
wool or silk.

I haven't found any pieces on the Met web site that aren't on display
(so I can ask to see them) that would answer this question.  The ones
that appear to be tent stitch that I've been able to see are attached
to books.  They're pretty but the back isn't accessible.

Carllein