[HNW] basketweave stitch

Chris Laning claning at igc.org
Mon May 2 17:54:10 PDT 2011

The big heavy book on the Oxburgh hangings (The Embroideries at Hardwick Hall buy Santina Levey) has been cited as describing something that sounds a whole lot like basketweave. Here's what my friend said:

> The  new  book published just last year:  The Embroideries at Hardwick Hall
> a catalogue by Santina M. Levey (isbn9781905400515) is a fabulous book.  I
> am finally getting a chance to read some of it.  In part two, section two
> Needlework  she discusses the stitches used on the pieces in Hardwick Hall.
>
> here is the information on Tent stitch:
>
> Regarding Tent Stitch or Petit Point :
>
> "This stitch, which is used for the finest needlework, is worked diagonally
> across the junction of a single warp and a single weft.  Where possible, a
> professional needleworker works it on the diagonal both to counteract the
> distorting effect of horizontal rows of stitches all pulled in one
> direction, and because the diagonal method covers the ground  more
> effectively, with the rows of stitches neatly dovetailed.  When worked in
> this way, the stitch produces alternate rows of horizontal and vertical
> stitches on the back, while only diagonal stitches are created by the
> horizontal method."

My problem with this is that, without seeing the whole section this paragraph is in, I can't tell whether this is a description of how tent stitch was worked _then_ or a description of how the stitch is usually worked _today_. If someone else has the book, they can perhaps look and see whether there is more context.....

O    Chris Laning <claning at igc.org> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com