[HNW] Pens and Needles - Women's Textualities in Early Modern England

Chris Laning claning at igc.org
Tue May 10 18:37:20 PDT 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 9:40 AM, Susan B. Farmer wrote:

> Here's a review of that new needlwork book.
>
> http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2011/04/uw-professors-book-looks-at-womens-needlework-from-new-perspective.html
>
> I've looked at the library copy, and I will probably get one.  This is *NOT* a picture book, or a how-to book.  Think "Dressing Renaissance Florence."  But it looks to be a wonderful resource.

From the review: "...needlework patterns printed directly on cloth..."

I wonder if this has been correctly interpreted by the reviewer. There were certainly needlework designs that were *painted* directly onto canvas for canvaswork, but I've been under the impression that such things would be custom work and also not "printed" as such. I definitely don't get the impression that cloth with designs already on it would have been a common item for sale, or as instrumental in spreading needlework patterns as the pattern books were (since the reviewer mentions them in the same breath, it kind of has that implication). Will be interesting to see what the book says. First one to read it, please report back! ;)

(I wonder whether someone had in mind the ubiquitous pre-printed kitchen towels and pillowcases of the 1960s-70s? I think there are a lot of people who -- due to not knowing any textile history -- still more or less unconciously treat the 1960s-70s style of surface embroidery as a sort of archetype for what the concept of "embroidery" really means -- cheap thread, pastel colors, wide variety of stitches in the same piece, naturalistic images, etc.)

O    Chris Laning <claning at igc.org> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com