[HNW] designs printed directly on material

Susan B. Farmer sfarmer at goldsword.com
Wed May 11 15:03:15 PDT 2011

On 5/11/2011 4:28 PM, Liz H. wrote:
> I'm fairly sure I've come across a reference to or picture of a cloth printed pattern in the 1600s before.  Not common, but some printers were experimenting with selling it, promoting that one didn't have to  transfer the pattern from paper.

There's some unstitched sleeves at the V&A that I thought were printed.
  Hang on, let me go check

I was thinking that it was this
http://images.vam.ac.uk/item/O317153/panel-of-jacket/
but they say it was done with ink.  I was thinking the ones that I saw
said that they'd been printed off a copper engraving plate.  If I'm
right (and not completely delusional) the picture is in "'Twixt Art and
Nature"

Susan/ Jerusha
--
Susan Farmer