[HNW] Purl

Kristen Sieber kmsieber at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 16:51:16 PDT 2012

Greetings, all.  For years I have been researching, and somewhat doing, Elizabethan needlepoint/canvaswork.  I am getting into trying to be really authentic.  I would like, at some time in the future, to use gold or silver purl.  To tell the truth, I wasn't even aware that it still existed!  Anyway, to get as close to what was used in 16th and 17th century Britain, do I want "smooth" or "rough" purl?  And if anyone has more info that would help me, it would be much appreciated.  Thanks, all.

Lady Morgaine Somerset in the SCA and
Kristen M. Sieber at other times