[HNW] Purl

SANDRA CRUSHER equinerd at embarqmail.com
Mon Jul 30 22:12:00 PDT 2012

Ms. Sieber,

Both smooth and rough purl were used with various sizes with either gold or silver.

There are two thoroughly awesome books that dispell a great deal of extinct, or evolved, stitches and what kinds of materials were use, with conjectured techniques, and explanations to give you a sense of scale, etc.  My words can do no justice to these information packed books.  Of course, that is my opinion, and I encourage you to see for yourself.

Elizabethan Stitches:  A Guide to Historic English Needlework by Jacqui Carey

Sweet Bags:  An Investigation into 16th and 17th Century Needlework by Jacqui Carey

There is some overlap between these two books.

I hope this helps you.  Happy stitching.

Valeria Serena Ongaro
Loch Gryffyn of Darkwater, Trimaris
Art/Sci Officer